Saturday, July 3, 2010

bad poetry series

I was going through my old stuff recently and found some notebooks of awful poetry dating back to when I was 13. For sentimental value, they're some of the most invaluable thingsI have. Here's an example from when I was 16:

"Coffee Shop Intellectual"

Insomniac nights with coffee shop hours,
You belong here because I say so.
Nicotine, caffeine, dopamine sifting through
   our veins,
Lighting the scene with manic expressions
   and epiphanies.
We know nothing like no one else,
Explain the universe better than our gods.
Our degrees and numbers prove our worth
Like the Picassos, van Goghs, and Monets 
   peering
Down at odd angles from the shelter of
   Easter-colored walls.

If you were any better, 
Any smarter,
Or simply sober,
I'd be your lover. 

This, of course, comes after some really bad haikus and progressively worse poetry. But nowadays, having completely given up on having a literary career (for obvious reason), it makes me happy to see where/what I've come from.

And so I challenge you! Write bad poetry or seek out the pages you've already mangled in your youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment