Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Posting online about how much I hate my job is so last season. So I won't. But I do.

One of the major purposes of South Village was to address how we in this area are actually not ridiculous, backwards, barefoot sister-screwing hicks. However, I think it undercuts some of society to make such blanket assumption assumptions. I don't know that everyone outside the American south thinks that we're all illiterate bastards. Furthermore, this is the land of Faulkner! Recently Patton Oswald tweeted that the south is America's Ireland: it's literary and alcoholic and dysfunctional and mythical all at once. I think this is one of the most astute observations that I've heard about the south as an entire region in a long time. One thing that's true of the south, though, is that we like to find new and creative ways of bitchin'-and-moanin', especially about the heat. And the humidity. We love to hate humidity. And I've never grown tired of saying things like, "It may be 100 degrees out, but it's the humidity that's killer!" I'm sure Faulkner would have said such things, only sideways, and if I had more time, I'd research that and give you a pithy Faulkner quote about how the fish swim backwards through the water above the ponds or somesuch.

Nevertheless, I'm southern AND literate. So I'm bandwagoning and reading Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's ok so far, but I must admit that it's a bit too John Grisham-y (I know, another southerner) at this point. I am hopeful that it will pick up, though. I'd still recommend it, but with some reservations.

Anyway, it's humid. Go read something. Your Kindle is getting lonely!

T

No comments:

Post a Comment